[vorbis] Followup to compiling Ogg on NetBSD-1.5/i386

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at cse.iitd.ernet.in
Tue Mar 13 14:53:44 PST 2001

Hi Jeremy,

I went through the list archives, and have been trying to follow and
implement things as I understand:

1. libao needs <sys/soundcard.h> and <machine/soundcard.h>, and so I
linked /usr/include/soundcard.h there.

2. Since `soundcard.h' doesn't have SNDCTL_DSP_GETODELAY, I uncommented
that particular line in `src/plugins/oss/ao_oss.c'.  These steps made sure
that I had liboss files created in /usr/pkg/lib/ao/.

3. After that, I went to vorbis-tools. (**I had compiled libogg and
libvorbis earlier -- do I need to compile them again now that I have
made changes in libao ?**  I think not, but I still ask).

3. The rest of the stuff in your notes didn't make any sense to me (I'm
only a beginner user), but I gathered that we need to do something with
the -lossaudio option.  And I gathered that it has to be put in
ogg123/Makefile (ie, LIBS = -lossaudio *and* LDFLAGS = -lossaudio).
Well, I ran `configure' first, then made the above changes, and `make &&
make install' ...

... but still ogg123 reports "No such device oss". :-(

Now I'm back to a dead-end with no clue whatsoever.  Where have I gone
wrong/screwed up ... ?

Regards.
__
Rakhesh Sasidharan	rakhesh at cse.iitd.ac.in