[vorbis] Problem compiling ogg on OpenBSD-2.7

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at cse.iitd.ernet.in
Fri Mar 9 09:09:53 PST 2001

Hi,

I have downloaded the following files

libao-0.6.0.tar.gz
libogg-1.0beta4.tar.gz
libvorbis-1.0beta4.tar.gz
vorbis-tools-1.0beta4.tar.gz

as said from the download section.  But I'm at a loss to what do after
that.  I don't have much experience/knowledge in compiling etc, but I
still want to try out ogg.  (I downloaded the source coz I have an OpenBSD
machine, and there was no binary available).

I tried compiling libogg-1.0beta4.tar.gz and libao-0.6.0.tar.gz, but end
up with something like this upon running configure (the error is towards
the end):

Script started on Thu Mar  8 23:49:41 2001
[root at OpenBSD](libogg-1.0beta4)# ./configure
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... yes
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking host system type... i386-unknown-openbsd2.7
checking build system type... i386-unknown-openbsd2.7
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) no
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -p output... ok
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... openbsd2.7 ld.so
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for int16_t... no
checking for int32_t... no
checking for uint32_t... no
checking for u_int32_t... no
checking for int64_t... no
checking size of short... configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling
[root at OpenBSD](libogg-1.0beta4)# exit

Script done on Thu Mar  8 23:49:58 2001

I have included the whole file coz I wasn't so sure what to not include --
what is the above error supposed to mean ?  Is there anything I can do abt
it ?

Regards.
__
Rakhesh Sasidharan	rakhesh at cse.iitd.ac.in