[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis in Audiograbber and more

Mat Bettinson mat at eurogamer.net
Sun Mar 4 05:04:06 PST 2001

Hello,

Don't know if anyone cares but I was looking at the external encoder
support in AudioGrabber 1.8 beta and saw a default entry for Oggenc.

All well and good but speaking for myself, I wouldn't consider
switching to Ogg Vorbis unless I could get all the proper id3-like
comments and so on.

So I experimented and came up with the following

1. Select "MP3 file via intermediate wav file. Delete the wav file"
1. Select External Encoder
2. Point "External MP3 program name" to where you've put oggenc.exe
3. Place -a "%1" -l "%2" -N %3 -t "%4" %s -o %d in the arguments box
4. File extension ogg
5. Tick only Encoder is Capable of using stdin/stdout... blah blah

That arguments line appears to work quite nicely. This just leaves two
'issues' for me;

Firstly, I'd really like the 'view file information' aspect of the
WinAMP Vorbis plugin to work. It doesn't have to be able to EDIT the
comments tags like the default one but I'd like to at least see the
full path to the file and the comments. Oh and average bitrate.

Secondly - what we *really* need is an encoder dll using the same sort
of interface as the LAME encoder DLL etc. Is that a route being
pursued or do you think integrated/internal support is more likely?

I'd quite like to go back to encoding on the fly at some point.

Other than the above, I'm blown away by the results on Beta 4 so far.
Very nice indeed. I can't find a note if the current beta is using
joint-stereo though?

--
Mat Bettinson - EuroGamer's Gaming Evangelist with a Goatee
http://www.eurogamer.net | http://www.eurogamer-network.com