[vorbis] Vorbis Encoding Problems

Dan Morrison dmorriso at cse.buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 1 21:50:48 PST 2001

I downloaded all the Beta 4 libraries/tools yesterday and compiled them -
everything went fine.

ogg123 works fine - it plays files off the website.  So does the XMMS
plugin (I just built XMMS and had it build the vorbis plugin that it came
with)

oggenc seems to work fine, in that all of its output looks normal:

 [ttyp3 at dalek:tear-require-0.2.0/CDDB_get-1.4 @00:39] oggenc
 track03.cdda.wav
 Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
 Encoding "track03.cdda.ogg" [100.0%] [ 0m00s remaining] /

 Done encoding file "track03.cdda.ogg"

         File length:  5m 01.0s
         Elapsed time: 1m 26.9s
         Rate:         3.4704
         Average bitrate: 133.3 kb/s

But when I try to play the resulting file, I get silence.  When I try it
in XMMS, the seek bar jumps eratically, as does the track time and the
bit rate.  I have tried this with the default bit rate, and with 256.  The
wav file is straight from cdparanoia - it works fine with Lame.

Any advice you can give to get this working would be great... I've added
Ogg Vorbis support to T.E.A.R (CD ripper/encoder), and once I get oggenc
working I can finish testing and soon another program will have Vorbis
support.

Thanks,
Dan