[vorbis] Vorbis (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19982.html)

gshang at uq.net.au gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Jun 27 00:24:13 PDT 2001

In an article on theregister.co.uk, you wrote:

>   Either project - or any other open source MP3 encoder, for that matter
>   - could check out the open source codec, Ogg Vorbis, which offers
>   comparable size and sound quality to MP3. We don't know if it's any
>   good, and it's unlikely - for the time being at least - to be
>   supported by portable music players, but with every aspect of its
>   structure - encoder, decoder, data format - issued under the GPL (some
>   bits come under the remit of the BSD licence), it's free to use. ®

As a fan of the vorbis codec, I invite you to test it for yourself.  The
reference implementation already sounds better than MP3 at similar bit
rates, and when the encoder is complete (shortly), we are confident that
bit rates will go low enough to rival MP3pro.  vorbis is also more
flexible than MP3, providing a far better tagging system and the ability
to encode more than 2 channels.  It also contains the ability to
down-scale a stream to a given bit rate, something that will be invaluable
to streaming content providers.  Even though this feature has not yet been
implemented in the reference encoder, a number of vorbis streams are
already up and running.

Get the programs from www.vorbis.com

Get more info from www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

For further information from the developers, contact jack at xiph.org or
monty at xiph.org

Thank you for giving Vorbis a plug and please feel free to assess it for
yourself.

Geoff.