[OT] Re: [vorbis] Format comparison

Anthony Arcieri bascule at holly.ColoState.EDU
Sat Jun 23 14:43:25 PDT 2001

> Eh, just a (seemingly offtopic) question, but how do you create a 4
> channel lp ? With just one needle ?

These records were produced using the "SQ system".  I'm not too clear on
how it works, only that it didn't require a special turntable, just a
decoder which was attached before the phono preamp.  Quadraphonic LPs,
when played without the decoder, sounded like regular stereo.

I suppose this speaks well of the position Thompson is in with MP3Pro.
Personally I'll be rather surprised if it's successful.  It doesn't bode
too well for them that historically any time a company has attempteded to
add extra functionality to an existing standard, but functionality which
requires something additional on the consumer's part, that through
consumer laziness/apathy it never has been successful.

Tony Arcieri