[vorbis] RE: [advanced] Response to Ogg Vorbis comments

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Sat Jun 23 03:29:19 PDT 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Amir Majidimehr wrote:
> I am not sure what the comment means regarding WMA.  We are on forth
> generation WMA encoder and have made every version available on the web.
> I agree AAC and MP3 cost money and the former is hard to get but such is
> not the case with WMA.

I'm not responding to Amir directly, because I hope he doesn't see my
reply. I dont want to give m$ ideas that would make WMA better.

Anyway, I sincerely hope m$ *doesnt* port WMA to linux/bsd/etc, and I
sincerely hope m$ keeps WMA closed source. By doing so they will *ensure*
the failure of WMA on anything but the narrow tunnel vision field of view
of platforms that m$ "supports".

The precise reason why mp3 succeeded where aac/etc has utterly failed is
because mp3 is widely available on *all* platforms. Vorbis has the
potential to kick m$' sorry ass all over the playing field.

-Dan