[vorbis] Format comparison

fungus spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com
Wed Jun 20 17:07:09 PDT 2001

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> RealAudio is likely never to make it out of RealSystem.

Real have just announced their new "secure" content delivery
system so its a safe bet they're trying to lock you into
their player more than ever.

> It should just work.  And it just works with vorbis.

Exactly.

If anything kills off .WMF and .RM file formats it'll be
the war which is brewing between Microsoft and Real. I
predict that after a year or so of BMB (big media battles)
the public will do *anything* to avoid having their files
locked to a particular computer or media player.

Even today I've got four media players on my machine,
and there's still the odd video file which I can't
play on any of them. I've also got some real player
videos which glitch badly on playback and some avis
which only play on mplay32, not the lastest Windows
media player. I don't see that things are improving,
and a file-format war will only make this worse.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \