[vorbis] joint stereo implementation

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jun 18 13:40:11 PDT 2001

> When doing channel coupling with N channels using relative strengths of
> spectral bands (at least that how I understand it works), would it also
> be
> possible to have relative time-shifts, in order to enhance spatial
> resolution?
>
> Say, you have a guitar playing at 2 o'clock, then there is a difference
> of
> 0.3 millisec between sound arriving left and right when using two
> channels.

You would also have smearing, spreading and echoing issues large
enough that the time shift alone looks like not worth bothering with.
The infamous reverb 'Christmas Tree' function.

The time shift is still a decent enough idea, but far more difficult
than it seems.  Early Early Early Ogg codecs (pre-Squish) experimented
with this.

Monty