[vorbis] Mass conversion

Karol Pietrzak noodlez84 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 13:17:02 PDT 2001

On 18 Jun 2001, Joel Parker Henderson wrote:

> Now that the decoder is RC1, what's the best way to convert thousands of
> MP3 128k files to Vorbis 64k or less, for low-quality fast
> streaming?

As others have noted, you will no doubtedly lose much quality
doing this (you would lose quality going 128mp3 to 128vorbis).
Additionally, I don't think Vorbis supports bitrates below
112bps (beta4, don't know about rc1).  What you can do however,
is mass decode the mp3's to 44.1KHz WAV's (mpg123 will do that),
resample to 22.05KHz (I like sox), then encode to Vorbis using "-
b 1" which will quarantee you encoding in the lowest possible
bitrate.

--
noodlez:   Karol Pietrzak
PGP KeyID: 0x3A1446A0