[vorbis] microsoft windows media 8 encoder

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Jun 14 17:48:27 PDT 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Joel Parker Henderson wrote:

> For these, small size is more important than fidelity.
>
> I am also thinking of things like recording company speeches, university
> classrooms, job training, customer service calls, stockholder meetings--
> all places where recording is highly valuable but fidelity is unnecessary.
>
> How do companies handle this kind of need today?
>
> How well could Vorbis handle this?

Well, in theory at least, Vorbis should be able to go as low as 16kbps per
channel at 44.1khz, using bitrate peeling.  I don't understand the science,
but logic would suggest that one could go lower at 22.05khz.  If it scales,
you should then be able to do 22.05khz mono at 8kbps.  Sheesh.  Not bad.

Of course, this is not yet implemented in the encoder tools, though I
thought I saw something that said it was now in the libs.  Is this so, and
if so, when will we be able to try it out?  Monty have you tried any of
this low bit rate stuff and if so, how low could you go?

Geoff.