[vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Sun Jun 10 06:50:00 PDT 2001

> - artist can already distribute mp3's for free and not be subject to
> royalties. (very clear)
> - free radio station can use mp3 to stream and not be subject to
> royalties. (debatable, but what else would "not charge royalties for
> free distribution" mean?)

So what you saying is all artists should distribute their music for
free, or at least without making any related incoming to the
distribution?

I thought the whole idea here, was to empower artists to leave the
current distirubtion shackles and give them a world where distribution
shackles don't exist.

MP3 has shackles.  For tools, very harsh ones, for selling mp3's, fairly
harsh ones.  For streaming radio, very harsh ones.

While it's all fair and good the free users may not have to pay
(remember, that streaming and distributing are differentiated between in
most documents and licenses I've seen, which is why I've been saying
'may'), the artists still have some corporation that makes money off
their work, by controlling the distribution channel.

There are plenty of reasons to switch to Ogg without this extra
licensing, but I'm glad they added it, because now a lot more people
will understand what we're doing here.  Changing the patent license on
the fly any time you think there might be a new revenue stream is not a
good thing.

jack.