[vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license

Thomas Kirk thomas at arkena.com
Sun Jun 10 06:06:04 PDT 2001

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 09:48:40AM -0600, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > I agree that the prices are accessible (it's even free for
> > non-comercial usage), but the problem with licenses
> > is that they can *change* - so if there's no real competition
> > like Ogg Vorbis or WMA, the prices can go 10x up...
>
> I don't.  Let's do the math.
>
> To pay for the music for a non-commercial station is $250-$500 a year.
> To pay for the format is $2k??!?!?!?!

This is ofcause the case for broadcasters in USA, the case of broadcasters
in denmark where i happen to be is ahole diffrent story paying around 800$
pr.month pr channel which in a year gives around 11k$ pr channel!

> The artists are getting paid less than the technology guys, and that's
> downright STUPID.

I totally agree with you on this one!

> THE ARTISTS ARE GETTING PAID MUCH MUCH LESS THAN 2%.

yeps in this case we are playing big artits i dont know if its the same
case with them i think britney spears get here share ;-) that little count!

--
Venlig hilsen/Kind regards
Thomas Kirk
thomas at arkena.com
http://www.arkena.com

But I always fired into the nearest hill or, failing that, into blackness.
I meant no harm;  I just liked the explosions.  And I was careful never to
kill more than I could eat.
		-- Raoul Duke