[vorbis] Orbis VS MP3

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Thu Jun 7 11:50:27 PDT 2001

<FSzick at Interplay.com> wrote:

> I'm hearing some people say/insist that Orbis takes up more CPU than MP3.
> Is this true and by how much?

I don't know the exact numbers, but currently Ogg Vorbis does
take more CPU time for decoding then MP3, although the
difference is rather small and pretty insignificant on today's
machines. Minimum hardware for Ogg Vorbis playback
is pretty much the same as it is for MP3: any Pentium I class
(100MHz or more) machine should do it.
Ogg Vorbis decoding speed is not yet fully optimized, so
it should become equal to MP3 in the future since technically
Ogg Vorbis decoding is not more complex then MP3.

---
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3