[vorbis] [new?] Streaming technique

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Tue Jun 5 08:12:37 PDT 2001

"Dado Colussi" <gdc at iki.fi> wrote:

> I can see benefits of this kind of technique in
> multicasting: as a multicaster you would have to send
> only 128kbps *total*, instead of 128 + 64. You would
> still reach narrowband users and satisfy broadband
> users without sending "massively" redundant data.

Yes I see the point. Still, as Aaron Plattner said, you
can use bitrate peeling for that, just send the
additional data (that was peeled) in another stream
and join them on client-side for higher quality audio.

---
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3