[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Fri Jun 1 02:50:12 PDT 2001

"fungus" <spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com> wrote:

> I expect the new super CDs will sound a lot better than
> the normal ones. If the RIAA wants to do something about
> Napster then they should be pushing the move to this new
> format and touting the quality benefits.

I think that people will be much more interested in
multi-channels then increased audio resolution
(I'm already seeing this fenomenon with DVD-Audio).
I think that current Super CDs are not multi-channel.

Also, in order to be competitive with audio CDs,
DVD-A and SCD will need to have an equal or slightly
bigger price - if this doesn't happen, I'm afraid that these
new technologies will remain something exclusive and
audiophile-only...

And then there is also the rivalry between DVD-Audio
and SCD.

---
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3