[vorbis] PNG and GIF and JPEG

Freya freya128 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 09:16:56 PDT 2001

I think things got all confused along the line.

What I originally meant was that people don't use PNG
quite often despite the fact it is an amazing format.
Probably from lack of knowledge, (they might not have
heard of it etc) but I love PNG and use it an awful
lot.

I then kind of got side tracked, I get kind of annoyed
when people send me JPEG's of text because JPEG is
very bad at handling text, it makes it go all fuzzy
and nasty. Of course the best format for text, is a
.txt file! Or if it is a HTML page, then a .HTM file!
As you all point out

I find getting a .JPG of screenshots and the like
worse than getting a gif, because I can convert the
gif to a nice PNG (Yay!) and quitely send it on it's
way. Once it's a JPG theres not a lot I can do because

JPEG is a lossy format and I've lost all the
information.

You can of course make the files less lossy (although
the kind of people sending me jpegs probably don't
know that anyway) but then you run into the problem
that although jpegs support millions of colours, they
ONLY support millions of colours, so then you end up
with pointlessly big files (at least for things like
screenshots and drawings).

Lets face it PNG is a wonderful format!
I think other people will use PNG more and more too,
but it will take time.

One thing I should point out about JPEG's, much as I
love them and use them lots for photo's and other fun,
we should all be aware that they ARE covered by
patents, it's just that at the moment the people who
own those patents are being nice and letting people
have fair use...at the moment...

http://www.jpeg.org/FCD15444-1.htm

Also I think the Unisys patent covers both encoding
AND decoding of gifs.

Apologies to anyone who couldn't follow my bizzare
drifting to related subjects, and thankyou to all
those who knew what I meant! (That always makes me
feel better and I know I'm in the company of sharp
people!) :)

love

Freya

--- David Balazic <david.balazic at uni-mb.si> wrote:
> Peter Schuller wrote :
>
> > > I use it a lot, but I still get people mailing
> me
> > > .gifs and even worse .jpgs (of things like
> text!!!)
> > > That's okay let them.
> >
> > JPEG worse than GIF? What are you on? :) At least
> JPEG supports more than
> > 256 colors and you don't need to pay $100000 (or
> whatever) to write an
> > encoder...
>
> Uh, should I send you a GIF and JPEG version of the
> same picture,
> where the GIF is both smaller AND better ?
>
> JPEG is for natural pictures ( like photos ) ,
> whil GIF is for "technical" pictures ( text and
> object that have
> simple color, without gradients ).
>
> JPEG beats GIF on natural,
> GIF beats JPEG on technical.
>
> ... and PNG is better than GIF :-)
>

> --
> David Balazic
> No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.