[vorbis] Wavelet audio codec by Adapted Wave Tech.

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Wed Jun 27 17:49:07 PDT 2001

From: "Jack Moffitt"

> It's probably not as broad as it sounds.  Wavelets are a common tool in
> signal processing, and likely ahve been used in many ways on audio in
> the due course of science.  They may have some new trick, but.. uh..
> from what I've read and discussed with others, the MDCT is the _right_
> tool for audio compression, except possibly for very short blocks where
> time domain is much more important.

What about malvar "wavelets"... they seem to work pretty well for m$ :) but then
they are pretty close to MDCT to start with. The sines + transients + noise
method seems to me the most natural way to pick out the perceptually important
parts.

BTW the patent # is 5,526,299 (which submarined for a while under the guise of
5,384,725).

Marco