[vorbis] Wavelet audio codec by Adapted Wave Tech.

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed Jun 27 14:20:56 PDT 2001

> One sentence caught my attention: "Adapted Wave Technologies holds exclusive
> patent rights for applying wavelet packets to audio applications." - sounds
> like a broad patent, doesn't it? :-))

It's probably not as broad as it sounds.  Wavelets are a common tool in
signal processing, and likely ahve been used in many ways on audio in
the due course of science.  They may have some new trick, but.. uh..
from what I've read and discussed with others, the MDCT is the _right_
tool for audio compression, except possibly for very short blocks where
time domain is much more important.

jack.