[vorbis] RE: [advanced] Response to Ogg Vorbis comments

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Sat Jun 23 11:34:09 PDT 2001

"Frank Heckenbach" <frank at g-n-u.de> wrote:

> ISTR someone mentioned that m$ is crippling mp3 in their players.
> Not that I want to defend mp3 in any way, but there's no reason to
> assume they'll be any nicer to Ogg/Vorbis.

Windows Media Player 6.4 (the one I have) can't play 320kbps
files - all I get is total silence. One would expect that this
has been fixed in later WMP versions, but as I hear it
isn't.

Also, there will be no MP3 encoding (not even at low bitrates) in
Windows XP. Of course you can install any MP3 encoder
you want, but there will be no MP3 encoding tool shipping
with Windows XP.

---
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3