[vorbis] Format comparison

aardvaak aardvaak at ifrance.com
Fri Jun 22 01:19:52 PDT 2001

At 15:46 20/06/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:
>
> > I have to disagree a bit. Vorbis delivers higher quality in less space,
>
>The average listener can't tell the difference in quality, and the size
>difference, as of Vorbis B4, isn't terribly significant if you encode at
>the same average bitrate (and remember that the masses have been
>brainwashed to think that MP3 at 128k is CD-quality -- which it might as
>well be, since the average listener's PC audio hardware is incredibly
>bad).
>
> > removes the silence gaps that we have with MP3,
>
>The average listener hasn't noticed. If you take a CD of songs with
>silence between them (the usual pop-music format), and rip it into a
>bunch of MP3 files, the silence gaps are not a problem, because the CD
>had silence between the songs anyway. Unless you're referring to
>something else entirely that I haven't even noticed; if so, then this
>must be a really esoteric problem, in which case, again, the average
>user hasn't noticed and doesn't care.
>
> > delivers a better tagging system
>
>The average listener probably never edits tags,

And that is a shame. A well-used database would be a blessing for
everybody. Now taggin is no more than an usused format... I must be one of
the few to exhaustively tag mp3s...
BTW, Winamp doesn't seem to support id3Tag v1.1, that is tracks number ?
There is nowhere a command to sort by track number...

>  or looks at any of them
>other than artist name, album and track name, and maybe track number or
>genre. That ID3 is a hack is not a concern for the average listener.
>
> > and also gives us bitrate peeling that removes the need for
> > reencoding.
>
>That's an attraction for stream providers more than for listeners. Some
>technically-inclined listeners (who are probably a small minority) will
>like it; the average listener will continue to have no clue. And if the
>average listener (using Windows Media Player or WinAmp)

Wich encoder do you consider to be the best under Windows ? Under POSIX
(Unix/Linux/BeOS)?

>  doesn't have
>Vorbis playback capability (WMP doesn't, and WinAmp doesn't by default
>-- you have to add the plugin yourself), that far outweighs any
>conveniences that the format might offer to the stream providers.

How could it be possible to convince nullSoft to add Vorbis support by
default ? After alll, Winamp is FREE, as for Vorbis...