[vorbis] Format comparison

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Wed Jun 20 15:01:33 PDT 2001

"Jack Moffitt" <jack at icecast.org> wrote:

> Agreed. I said as much when Information Week interviewed me on the
> subject :)

Here's the article:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20010615S0013

>From that article:
"Not everyone is convinced that Ogg Vorbis will develop a following beyond
the software development community, however. Webnoize analyst Ric Dube says
that for it to ultimately succeed, Ogg Vorbis has to achieve some level of
consumer acceptance, and he's skeptical on that front. Dube says that
because consumers aren't being charged directly for the MP3 format and thus
don't view cost as an issue, Ogg Vorbis has to separate itself
technologically. "What problems does Vorbis solve for the consumer?" he
says. "None." "

I have to disagree a bit. Vorbis delivers higher quality in less space,
removes the silence gaps that we have with MP3, delivers a better tagging
system and also gives us bitrate peeling that removes the need for
reencoding. How's that for solving some problems for the consumer?

---
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3