[vorbis] "vorbiscomment"

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sun Jun 17 13:08:40 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 01:48:01PM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> abcde shouldn't need it - oggenc (which I assume it uses) can tag the files
> when it encodes them. Anyway, since for now it does require vorbiscomment...
> It is in vorbis-tools, at least in beta 4.

abcde has a stage-based mechanism -- rip, cddb, encode, tag, move or
something like that, IIRC. This works decently well for the MP3 tools,
where adding an appropriate ID3 tag as an afterthought is very common
(so encoders don't really have to care about tagging), but for things
like the Vorbis tools, which can do all the tagging at once (and even
most of the work for the "move" stage), it kind of throws off the
little shell script.

Perhaps a more special-purpose utility (i.e. not abcde) would be
better for Vorbis, mostly as a wrapper around cdparanoia / cdda2wav
and oggenc and nothing else. If I whipped one up (perhaps stealing
code from abcde where appropriate, e.g. cddb lookups), would anyone be
interested in it?

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>