[vorbis] Re: mp3PRO encoder/decoder demo available

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Jun 14 23:49:07 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 11:08:12PM +0200, Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:
> <volsung at asu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Does someone here know how much savings on average you can get with
> > joint-stereo?
>
> I think it is around ~30kbps. Depends also on how agressive is the
> algorithm. For example, there are a couple of joint-stereo modes
> in MP+, some are less efficient, but have less artifacts as well.

"It depends".  Vorbis will be able to do coupling such that joint
stereo is exactly equivalent to L/R (reduction is in the range of
128->100 or so], or apply addiitonal stereo/spatial specific
psychoacoustics to further reduce bitrate to eliminate inaudible
elements of the stereo image.  The test encoder I'm working on right
now reduces current 128kbps files to the range on 80kbps this way with
no easily detectable additional quality loss.  Hopefully by the time
release rolls around it will be 'no additional detectable loss at all'
:-)

I will likely also hack together a tool that adds coupling to existing
Ogg beta-encoded files without a reencode for extra free savings
(without a quality penalty).

Monty