[vorbis] Vorbis and Joint Stereo.

Paulo Rebêlo listas at rebelo.jor.br
Thu Jun 14 14:10:26 PDT 2001

Hi,

I've just read this on Vorbis Xtreme site:

"11. YOU SAY THAT OGG VORBIS IS PATENT-FREE, BUT I SAW A PATENT NAMED
'JOINT-STEREO' ON FRAUNHOFER'S PATENT LIST? SO OGG VORBIS ACTUALLY ISN'T
PATENT-FREE SINCE IT ALSO USES JOINT-STEREO?
No. You can't judge on a patent just by looking at its name - what's
'inside' is what matters. So if the name of the patent says 'joint-stereo',
that doesn't mean that all kind of joint-stereo coding is patented
(besides, this isn't possible because joint-stereo as a concept is
prior-art - it was used long before MP3 came to life)."

By reading that, readers can assume that Vorbis does use joint-stereo. Does it?

Thanks,
Rebêlo.