[vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Sat Jun 9 12:27:18 PDT 2001

> > To pay for the music for a non-commercial station is $250-$500 a year.
> > To pay for the format is $2k??!?!?!?!
>
> But there are no royalties if you are streaming for free.

It doesn't say that.  It says if you are distributing music for free.
It doesn't say anything about streaming.  I would hope there would be no
fees, but I bet they will just be passed upstream. ie, live365 will have
to pay based on a percent of their total revenue, even though the users
are streaming for free, etc.

> > $2000 is the minimum, which means that you have to be making $100,000
> > just to make that the 'minimum'.
>
> For a small business, $2000 is probably too much. But for medium/large
> business it is not. On the other hand, if you can get the same or better
> thing for free (Ogg Vorbis), then $2000 is a complete waste. :-)

It's not 2000 for medium or large businesses.  It's 2%.  I think it's
safe to say that most medium->large businesses where streaming is a
major part, that 2% could potentially be a lot of money.  Especially
considering that you already ahve to pay ascap a percent or two, bmi a
percent or two, the RIAA an undetermined percentage, etc.  An extra 2%
is not going to fly, regardless of the size of business.

jack.