[vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Sat Jun 9 08:48:40 PDT 2001

> I agree that the prices are accessible (it's even free for
> non-comercial usage), but the problem with licenses
> is that they can *change* - so if there's no real competition
> like Ogg Vorbis or WMA, the prices can go 10x up...

I don't.  Let's do the math.

To pay for the music for a non-commercial station is $250-$500 a year.
To pay for the format is $2k??!?!?!?!

Give me a break!

The artists are getting paid less than the technology guys, and that's
downright STUPID.

$2000 is the minimum, which means that you have to be making $100,000
just to make that the 'minimum'.

For a company streaming, it's not a lot of money, but I think that's the
wrong way to focus on the issue.

THE ARTISTS ARE GETTING PAID MUCH MUCH LESS THAN 2%.

jack.