[vorbis] Encoding speed reports (was: Choosing a processor)

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Mon Jun 4 12:23:32 PDT 2001

> Are we talking about the same thing?
>
> I can't find any reference to Phillips patents on GSM 06.10.

>From http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html

---
 Patent Issues with GSM 06.10
Philips is claiming intellectual property on GSM 06.10. They haven't
contacted the authors of this library, but at least two large companies
that wanted to integrate GSM 06.10 codecs into their products have been
approached; one decided to pull their codec, another to pull just the
encoder and leave the decoder. (So, apparently, at least some lawyers
think the intellectual property applies only to one half of the
process.)

I don't know which parts of the patent are new, or whether it would hold
up in court, but of course nobody wants to go to court over an issue as
small as this.

The VPIM IETF workgroup is considering using GSM 06.10. The IETF can't
standardize on technology that forces its users to pay license fees. If
Philips doesn't release their intellectual property for use in VPIM,
we'll be wasting a lot of bandwidth with voice mail. That's not the end
of the world, but it would be nice to at least ask first.
---

Obviously his stuff about the IETF is somewhat wrong.  The IETF
directors told me they have no 'official' stance on patents, and several
patented things have been stadardized (i think some ppp compression?),
but very little, and internally they shy away from patents to the best
of their ability.  VPIM i believe is proposing to use MSGSM, which is
really kinda clumsy IMO.

In any case, it seems that there is some ambiguity here.  That would
have to be resolved before we could consider adding this to Ogg.

> > The better ones are patented to hell by cellphone companies, and
> > some are probably still classified that hte military is using/used.
>
> I don't think LPC-10 is classified... afaik LPC-10 is public domain and
> the only bits classified about its implementation in the military is how
> they use it with spread spectrum...

What's the bitrate?  What's the intellectual property landscape of
LPC-10?

jack.