[vorbis] Encoding speed reports (was: Choosing a processor)

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Mon Jun 4 11:49:11 PDT 2001

> Could vorbis do a modified LPC/CELP/GSM for extremely low bitrate
> (300bps-9600bps) codings? Would be nice for a 'one codec does it all' type
> thingy, instead of having to keep 30 different programs around...

Unfortunately this area is heavily patented.  GSM has to my knowledge
only one patent held by phillips. It's 13.5kbps and doesn't sound so
hot.  The better ones are patented to hell by cellphone companies, and
some are probably still classified that hte military is using/used.

I'm not sure if there's any room for us to work in, and even so, it
would tkae a fair amount of effort, and right now our focus is the
general purpose solution.

jack.