[vorbis] Encoder RC1?

Jernej Simonèiè jernej.simoncic at guest.arnes.si
Mon Jul 2 10:52:24 PDT 2001

Hello Aardvaak,

2. julij 2001, 14:34:14, you wrote:

> Monty a écrit:
>> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 01:12:11AM +0200, Hongli Lai wrote:
>> > What new features are planned for the RC 1 release of the encoder?
>>
>> Channel coupling (you know this as 'joint stereo' in mp3), more
>> control over ABR and VBR bitrates, and low bitrate modes.
> What exactly is ABR? I never used Lame and I guess it is a Lame option, doesn'it?

ABR is average bitrate (current Vorbis mode looks mostly like ABR). In
ABR you set desired average bitrate, and encoder tries to acchieve it.

VBR is variable bitrate. You set quality, and encoder will encode the
track according to complexity. For example, in VBR, one track could
come out at average 120 kbps, while some other (with same quality
setting) at 190 kbps.

Jernej Simoncic, jernej.simoncic at guest.arnes.si
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/
ICQ: 26266467