[vorbis] RE: Audio broadcasting... (fwd)

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Fri Jul 27 14:49:10 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Geoff Shang wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > Is vorbis suitable for 33.6k/56k streaming yet?
> > > Would be a good opportunity for some vorbis publicity, if it works out.
> > You can only really serve a 11khz mono stream (around 20kbps) to 33.6

hmmm..Actually, you could do 16khz mono at something like 26kbps, but I'd
test this with 33.6 connections before using it if I were you.

> > users.  32kbps 22khz mono sounds great for 56ers.  You can hear a demo of
> > this format at http://bumpy.braille.uwo.ca:9000/test.ogg (put this in your
> > player, don't click on it).
>
> Ok this sounds great, but I think they will also want to stream to 33.6k..
> Do you have a test stream ?

No, sorry.  The streamer I'm using doesn't resample, so all the files are
at 22khz.

> > 2. I'll need a recommendation for encoding software
> > Either use the oddcast DSP plugin for winamp (http://www.oddsock.org) or
> > ostream (http://www.radiostudio.org/ostream/).  both seem to work for me.
>
> What are you using for test.ogg?

Oh boy.  I'm using a rather hacked together setup.  I have a bunch of ogg
files in a directory on the server, the example.c program that comes with
libshout2, and a shell script that continuously cycles through a randomised
version of the file list.  Crude, but it works.  I intend to shift to
ices2, but I've not gotten around to it yet.  This is all running under
linux.

> > 3. We'll need a server to send the stream to
> > Well, you'll obviously need an icecast2 server which you can get for win32
> > (see oddsock.org) or linux/unix.  If you don't have somewhere to host it, I
> > run one on a server with bandwidth which I am encouraging people to use.
> > However, it is not my machine so if I were to offer this server, I'd like
> > to know more info about the broadcast and some rough idea of bandwidth
> > usage so that I can pass this on to the person who actually does own the
> > server.
>
> It's a talk show so it's mostly voice. I don't have any idea about
> bandwidth, I'll ask.

Well bandwidth will of course depend on the data rate.  Maybe projected
listener count will be more helpful.

Geoff.