[vorbis] RE: Audio broadcasting... (fwd)

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Tue Jul 17 00:28:34 PDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Is vorbis suitable for 33.6k/56k streaming yet?
>
> Would be a good opportunity for some vorbis publicity, if it works out.

You can only really serve a 11khz mono stream (around 20kbps) to 33.6
users.  32kbps 22khz mono sounds great for 56ers.  You can hear a demo of
this format at http://bumpy.braille.uwo.ca:9000/test.ogg (put this in your
player, don't click on it).

1. We need to make a list of Vorbis players for different systems available

vorbis.com is a start.  You'll find the winamp plugin invaluable (there
were aproximately 30 thousand people who'd grabbed it last time I looked
which was a few weeks ago).

2. I'll need a recommendation for encoding software

Either use the oddcast DSP plugin for winamp (http://www.oddsock.org) or
ostream (http://www.radiostudio.org/ostream/).  both seem to work for me.

3. We'll need a server to send the stream to

Well, you'll obviously need an icecast2 server which you can get for win32
(see oddsock.org) or linux/unix.  If you don't have somewhere to host it, I
run one on a server with bandwidth which I am encouraging people to use.
However, it is not my machine so if I were to offer this server, I'd like
to know more info about the broadcast and some rough idea of bandwidth
usage so that I can pass this on to the person who actually does own the
server.

Geoff.