[vorbis] lawyers and patents

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Jul 2 11:28:10 PDT 2001

> Does Xiph have access to a lawyer at all?

Yes.

> I ask because it seems like the tarkin list is a bit
> lost with regards to what is patented or not.

We have reason to believe that general 3d wavelets are not
patented/able.  Many people on the list seem to want to explore various
forms of motion detection, which is heavily patented.  We set the
initial direction.  Unfortunately no one has really stepped up and gone
patent hunting.  Feel free to volunteer.

> What compression algorithms do we know are definitely
> not covered by patents? All the stuff used in PNG, and
> MNG of course (whatever those are? lz77??)

This is probably a better conversation for the tarkin-dev list.

jack.