[vorbis] Jerkiness in player on some songs

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jul 1 15:44:27 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 12:01:45AM +1200, Lance Paine wrote:
> What could be causing my player to skip, and repeat (ie Jerky) with some
> songs and not others?
> I am just using a timer and checking the buffer. Could it be that with the
> troublesome files the are extra empty packets (or something) that cause this
> timer approach to be inadequate?
> I usually have no, problems, just with one or two files, and they play
> correctly in winamp
> I'm using beta encoder, and plugin, and vorbisfile.

Most modern sound hardware uses a ring buffer; if it's starved, it
will repeat the data in the buffer until new data shows up.

It's possible that your player is starving the harware buffers by
accident; for example, note that vorbisfile ov_read() returns (at
most) only a packet at a time; short block packets return very small
amounts of data.  If your player is submitting only short blocks, the
sound hardware may simply be working with fragments far too small for
optimal playback.

I mention this only as the problem has shown up in the past; the
description doesn't quite match this theory, but if you're out of
places to look for trouble, buffer timing is a good place to start.

Monty