[vorbis] Mono wavs with b4

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Feb 27 23:40:37 PST 2001

>I see it from the users point of view ... I really appreciate the -b
>option, but when I tell it to use an average bitrate of e.g. 128kbit/s,
>I want it to give me that bitrate - regardless of the amount of channels
>and samplerate. There might always be some special situation when
>someone would want to encode a 22kHz, mono file with ... let's say
>256kbit/s (don't ask for any sense, but you never know what users need
>to do). Right now, the respective user would have to use the option -b
>350 to roughly get the 256kbit/s for this file. This doesn't make any
>sense, and for stereo vs. mono it wouldn't make sense either.

Sorry, I think my previous explanation was unclear - what you've
described above is EXACTLY what the -b option is meant to do - however,
doing so accurately requires some additional features not present in
the beta4 libraries - 1.0 will do this correctly.
Right now, -b will work correctly for any number of channels, but it
doesn't change the internal mode selection according to sample rate,
so that ends up being wrong.

Michael