[vorbis] Mono wavs with b4

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 20:02:12 PST 2001

Michael Smith:

> It would, I suppose, be possible to add a 'normalised bitrate'
> interface to vorbisenc so that the specified bitrate is chosen
> assuming 44.1kHz/stereo, and then internally scaled to a real
> bitrate. We could then call this 'quality'. I don't think this
> is particularly useful though.

No? It seems worthwhile to me. If I want my music always encoded with an
average bitrate per channel of X, regardless of the number of channels, then
this is exactly what I want. Unless I'm doing streaming, and thus have to
worry about total bandwidth per client, then bandwidth per channel (which
correlates, roughly, with quality) is really more interesting than
aggregated bandwidth, don't you think?

Craig