[vorbis] Mono wavs with b4

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Feb 26 18:31:56 PST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 05:01:10PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> When I encode a monophonic wav file, I would expect the resulting ogg file
> to be at about half the bit rate specified on the command line, as stated in
> the "oggenc -h" help text: "The 6 modes are approximately 112, 128, 160,
> 192, 256, and 350 kbps (for stereo 44.1kHz input. Halve these numbers for
> mono input).".
>
> This doesn't seem to be happening, though. I took a 16-bit, 44.1 khz mono
> wav file, 2:38 long (about 12MB in size -- an old pop song), and encoded it
> with "oggenc -b 160 file.wav". Oggenc reported an average bit rate of
> 150k-plus.

The text is correct but mildly ambiguous.  What it means to say is "the
encoder does what you tell it to".  If you encode a mono wav with -b
160 it gives you a roughly 160 kbps file (kbps is a measure of size,
not quality).  A 160kbps file in stereo is 80kbps mono for the same
quality (as things stand right now).  What you wanted to do was use -b 80.