[vorbis] Vorbis decoding in hardware

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Fri Feb 23 06:36:41 PST 2001

From: "Segher Boessenkool" <segher at chello.nl>

> Multiple available. I can look some up, if you want.

Well I found some at ~20$ for low volume, thats affordable but by no means
cheap... any better than that around?

A 20$ spartan-II should be able to contain a >50 MHz pipelined multiplier
(Xilinx has a free generator which they say will generate a 100 MHz pipelined
multiplier in about 25% of the available CLB's) and adder with a simple RISC
core to tie it together, 25 MIPS should not be a problem. Tag on some SRAM, a
EPROM, a codec and something like the CY7C68013 and you have one cool gadget
(the person who wants to design it also has a shitload of work to do of course
:).

Another use which will appeal to the slashdot crowd would be to use it as a high
speed more secure encryption/decryption engine (more secure because the host
never needs to know the secret key, store it in the EPROM and only allow it to
be read by trusted configurations of the FPGA).

Marco