[vorbis] Beta 4

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Feb 22 17:29:33 PST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Klaus-Juergen Wolf wrote:

> Since so few people ask, it seems it doesn't matter when it goes to the
> public, if at all. Lame has the same problem and nobody cares, so why
> we? >;-[

1.  Vorbis CVS is considerably more hassle to compile.  You need libtool
and all that good stuff.  The number of people who post that are using
beta3 is proof of this fact.

2.  There is a considerable difference between releases, such that using
beta4 is infinitely preferable to using beta3.  The proof of the pudding is
in the tasting for these things, and the best advertising that vorbis can
get is to have people out there using it.  The more vorbis 1.0 features
that are available to the public, the better.

And I don't bother with lame CVS either - if I want the latest lame, I look
for the newest alpha or beta release.  If there's something fantastic in
CVS, I simply wait for it to be released.  I mean, if it's ready to go, why
hold it back?

Geoff.