[vorbis] music e-commerce using vorbis

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at eunet.yu
Wed Feb 7 03:13:52 PST 2001

"Monty" <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:

> My own frank evaluation of Vorbis vs everything else is that right
> now, Vorbis is inferior only in preecho control; this is due to
> several of the really obvious good techniques being patented so that
> we can't use them.  In every other respect Vorbis at beta 4 beats the
> competition (especially with respect to treble and stereo image
> fidelity), and I'm levelling the R&D guns at the preecho issue now.

Frank evaluation indeed. Vorbis only lacks good preecho control,
everything else looks (i.e. sounds :-)) great. The current amount of
preecho is not that bad (I think that it is as good as LAME MP3
at given bitrate), but I'm sure Monty will improve this in the near future.

Monty, will you try to improve short-block switching, or maybe
try to do something with the wavelets?

Greetings,
Aleksandar