[vorbis] Question, problems re: Ogg Vorbis ..

Mark Spencer dreadnought at arsenal.net
Wed Feb 28 07:08:02 PST 2001

I think Ogg Vorbis is an awesome project. I just started working with beta 4
yesterday and was very impressed .. I'm going to do some listening tests
today.

I had a question and some problems I'm hoping people can help me out with.

1.) Is the ability coming to convert from .MP3 to Ogg Vorbis forthcoming?
How would the sound quality be affected when converting from one compressed
audio format to another?

2.) I noticed that the Windows GUI encoder allows me to drag .MP3's into the
application, but doesn't do anything or tell me anything when I do. Some
people might think it's broken unless they get some kind of "This format is
not supported" error .. (I found this out for myself by checking out the
command line utility help.)

3.) I actually haven't gotten the Windows GUI encoder to work at all. When I
drag .wav's into the application, I always get "This format is not
supported" errors. Are there any known problems with the Windows GUI
encoder? I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, service pack 1. (I've been
using FreeRIP MP3 to encode my CD's directly to Ogg.)

that's it so far .. thanks!

Mark Spencer

The Classic Speaker Pages
http://www.arsenal.net/speakers