[vorbis] Few questions concerning clipping

Patrick Masters pmasters at fuse.net
Sun Feb 25 15:36:17 PST 2001

Hey all,
     This is my first post to the group. I have been using Media Jukebox 6+
to re-encode all of my mp3s to .ogg. I received some hell from others for
doing this but the way I see it, I am making sure there is more out there in
the audio format wars. I am just afraid that only new music will end up
being encoded in ogg and the older harder to find things will be left in
.mp3 format. I did notice some very intersting things between encoding with
Media Jukebox and Sound Forge 5. Seems that when I use 128Kbit for both
programs, that Media Jukebox comes out smaller than Sound Forge's yet appear
to have the same quality. Weird. Ill take the smaller version any day of the
week. Though I have noticed with Media Jukebox when batch encoding, it takes
up 100% of system resources. This bothers me a bit.
    I am a running Win2K on an Athlon 800Mhz w/ 128MB ram, 27GB Western
Digital HD and a 40GB Maxtor HD. Is ogg encoding that much more CPU
intensive than .mp3? Seems when using Media Jukebox, the system hiccups alot
when playing back another track. I am going to try re-creating the problem
while encoding w/ Sound Forge 5 and see it if it is the format or just the
encoding programs.
    My thought on Sound Forge 5 are up and down. Seems they have done away
with the CD Architect plugin so that stops me from making compilations CD
with my voiceovers for my girlfriend. Now they offer track at once and it
leaves 2 second gaps on the CDs. Not good.
    Another question I have is will .ogg support being burned to audio cd on
the fly like .mp3? Not that big of a problem, but it is an extra 10-15 steps
to put together a comp cd.
    Last, how can I help the Vorbis Ogg community other they word of mouth?
I have absolutely no programming experience though I am enrolling in classes
starting in March. I have heard others in the group talk about new features
being released with each beta release, but I really dont see how many more
features can be implemented that arent already there. I know, I am showing
my ignorance. Please don't flame but rather enlighten an uniformed soul.

Patrick Masters