[vorbis] reencoding OGG Vorbis

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Thu Feb 22 07:50:46 PST 2001

Greetings,

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Oddsock wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing the point, but why on earth would you WANT to do
>> something like that?  I've heard of people (usually uninformed people)
>> decoding a song from one format and then trying to encode it in
another,
>> but just doing encode-decode cycles in the same format?  Even if you
>> could do such a thing without quality degradation, why do it in the
>> first place?

> I've done this for a few things...I've got a Memorex MP3 CD player which
> only plays MP3s sampled at 44kHz...Much of my collection of Old Time Radio
> shows are 32/22, and would not play on the player at all....by using LAME,
> I could upsample them to 32/44...this goes through a decode/encode step to
> do it...the resultant output was indistinguishable at that bitrate
> (granted, not the highest quality)...Either way, there are  some uses for
> reencoding into the same format....

Another possible application is a radio-station I know, who broadcasts to
the internet in mp3.

They get their music (usually mp3-files taken from the net) from all-kind
of different source, some encoded at 192 Kbps, some at 160 Kbps and still
other at 128 Kbps.

They have noticed that there are a lot of problems with mp3-players, when
(first) broadcasting at bitrate x and (later) at to bitrate y. Apparently,
a lot of mp3 players don't really like to change the bitrate in the middle
of a stream.

So, they decided to 're-rate' everything at 192 Kbps. (Althou I don't know
if they actually had to decode and re-encode they music to and from PCM).

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN