pho: [Fwd: [vorbis] new MS codecs]

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Tue Feb 13 00:44:40 PST 2001

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Monty wrote:

> > Check it out (the url is probably wrapped):
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/compare/quality.asp
>
> For those of us without a windows machine, could someone hand me a
> .wav decompression of the windows media samples?  Yeah, yeah, I know
> the license says don't do it.  Be sneaky.

Did anyone ever do this?  If not, I'd be happy to put them up somewhere.
My only problem is finding a copy of media player 6.4 for windows 95.  It's
not meant to be compatible with older versions, though it does seem to play
on mine.  I'd rather get 6.4 though because that's what they say it's
compatible with.

> Of course, I think it just boils down to 'Microsoft has an odd
> definition of CD quality".  But I won't know that till hearing the samples.

I did get realplayer 8 for linux and the samples MS have to compare with
realplayer 8 are, upon first listen, pretty impressive.  However, if you
listen for longer, you do notice a rather weird bubbly sort of artifact for
sounds up to about 500 hz or so.  I really notice them at the extreme left
and extreme right of stereo samples.  It's as if the joint stereo is *very*
joint.  I heard a stereo stream at 20 point something kbps which sounded
like 22khz.  This stream was a stereo recording of a classical piano piece.
The result was a rather toppy centre that sounded like it was across the
room a little, and sides that were rolled off at, as I say, around 500 hz.
There was some swurling, phasing oddities and some pre-echo problems.

anyway, I can put up wavs of the MS realaudio 8 samples too if you want.

> (also, are those mono or stereo samples? I'd imagine they're stereo,
> but if they're not, well, geez :-)

They are stereo ... but that's a fair enough question.

Geoff.