[vorbis] Ogg Voxpop

Keith Wright kwright at gis.net
Mon Feb 12 22:00:51 PST 2001

> From: Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net>
> Cc: <vorbis at xiph.org>
>
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Keith Wright wrote:
>
> > (1) there is not a standard vocoder, there is are half a dozen,
> > at least.

> GSM is pretty standard for government use. I think LPC gets some
> limited use too.
>
> http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html

OK, I saw that page before, but was scared away by the hints
that some guys named Philips thought they have a patent on it.
But now I see that RFC-1890 mentions GSM 06.10 as a proposed
internet standard.  Does this mean that the patent issue has
been resolved?

Would it be crazy to try to embed a GSM stream into an Ogg
stream?  How does Ogg relate to the RTP (Real-time Transport
Protocol) of RFC-1890?

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright at free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>