[vorbis] Squelch 1.0beta9

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Tue Feb 6 18:12:02 PST 2001

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 12:19:55AM +0000, rik at kde.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I released Squelch 1.0beta9.

The last one didn't compile right on my system. I haven't tried the
new one. But I think it was just ld being stupid and not your fault.

> Currently squelch requires only libvorbis etc from xiph.org and Qt.
> Removing Qt is not an option, because it provides great cross-platform
> GUI and thread support.

Hmmm... I may be borrowing liberally from Qt for the Unix buffer in
Ogg123; my current implementation, though working, leaves a lot to be
desired in terms of performance and functionality.

Gives me an opportunity to ask a favor of anyone less annoyed than I
am: please compile vorbis-tools/ogg123 from the latest CVS checkout
(hasn't changed in a while but that's irrelevant). Run

ogg123 -v -b 1000 'some_oggvorbis_file.ogg'

and tell me if it stops at something like 14 or 21 seconds without
playing any audio, or if it works. If it does, please tell me your
glibc version, gcc version, and anything else you think might be
applicable. Also, in vorbis-tools/ogg123:

make clean
make CFLAGS=-g
gdb ogg123

Then just type 'run'. If you get a weird message about being unable to
read from some memory location (that maps to /lib/ld-linux.so.2 for
me), then you have duplicated the problem I'm trying to track down
with very little success. I've segfaulted gdb several times, but I
have been able to confirm (with strace) that the writer process is
segfaulting, and I don't know why. HELP! Is it just my system? I've
checked on my PowerMac (Debian unstable also) and my friend's Mandrake
7.2; same thing.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>