[vorbis] Squelch 1.0beta9

rik at kde.org rik at kde.org
Tue Feb 6 16:19:55 PST 2001

Hi,

I released Squelch 1.0beta9.

It's a multi-platform Ogg Vorbis player, if you haven't heard of it. [1]

Find it here: http://www.geoid.clara.net/rik/squelch.html

Differences from beta8:

* Vorbis comment editor ! [2]
* More intelligent re-initialisation of output driver.
* Stupid bugs in auto-update of master track list resolved.
* Some bugs fixed, some more introduced ;)

In theory, squelch should work on AIX, Linux, FreeBSD, HP-UX, OSF1, QNX,
Solaris and IRIX. All but Linux are untested.

I would like squelch to work on Win32 and MacOS, but I can't afford to
buy a Qt license for Win32 (nor do I own a Win32-based OS) and there's
no MacOS Qt port yet, though it's rumoured to be approaching.

I'm trying to make this a 'reference' implementation of a Vorbis player,
meaning that I keep the code simple and the dependencies down.

Currently squelch requires only libvorbis etc from xiph.org and Qt.
Removing Qt is not an option, because it provides great cross-platform
GUI and thread support.

Going for a 'reference' implementation also means trying to keep the
code 100% bug-free and easy to understand. The playlist handling code is
quite complex, so that doesn't quite fit with the philosophy. Most bugs
lie in that code.

The funky playlist was A Good Idea At The Time, but I think I'll rip it
out and use something simple for 1.0, though I'll probably keep the
auto-scanning code, which I couldn't live without :)

Cheers,
Rik

[1] If you don't want to see any more 'adverts' for squelch on
    this list, just say so and I'll shut up.

[2] My comment editing code uses a hacked version of vcedit.c. I added
    'extern "C"' stuff and a callback mechanism for progress reporting.
    Much kudos goes out to whoever wrote the original.