[vorbis] music e-commerce using vorbis

Patrik Wallstrom pawal at blipp.com
Tue Feb 6 13:17:03 PST 2001

Hi,

I am the CTO of an online e-commerce site selling signed underground
music. We're just about to begin with mp3 distribution by download. I have
looked into Ogg Vorbis, and it is interesting for us to both avoid the mp3
patent stuff (what's the legal status of Fraunhofer looking into any
possible patent infringements by Ogg?), and WMA. However, I still don't
think Ogg Vorbis is ready for "production use", is that a correct
assumption?

Has any hardware manufacturer announced support for Ogg? I believe almost
all software players have or will include support for Ogg. This is
important for us.

The tools are there, we can begin to use Ogg any day we want, but I guess
we will have to wait for atleast version 1.0 for production use, right? :)

One more question. We will have to include copyright information in any
digital musicfile we distribute. Does the standard Ogg package include any
tools for manipulating the meta data?

--
 patrik wallstrom     |      system design
 tel: +46-8-7298810   |      sonox.com