[vorbis] Vorbis Comment Editor v0.1.0

berk berk at nm.ru
Fri Feb 2 01:32:01 PST 2001

Use The Source, Beni!

Replying to your mail dated Wednesday, January 31, 2001, 7:18:40 PM,
about "[vorbis] Vorbis Comment Editor v0.1.0":

BC> I think it's time to create (and I'm about to do so) a generic extensible
BC> library for metadata retrieval/storage that can serve applications like
BC> music collection managers.  It should map different metadata formats in a
BC> configurable way (config files?) into a single non-limited scheme.  Thus
BC> one will be able to transparently (as much as possible) edit and see the
BC> corresponding fields of various metadata schemes, whether they are Vorbis
BC> TITLE comments, ID3 TIT2 frames, or whatever.

This is good idea. And incorporating this library into Winamp will
greatly help ;)

INTERNAL STORAGE IDEAS:
Well, there should be UTF-8 non-limited length storage for all fields.
A tagged format (like in vorbis) is useful. A list or array of such
entries {tag,value} is easy to maintain and convert to any other outer
format.

EXTERNAL STORAGE:
A set of modules mapping such entries into output format and
working with files on their own, I think. Also, those modules can
import own format descriptions into tagged format. Seems thats all.

EDITOR:
Editing system as in Warren's VCE, with probably hint line saying if
such comment type is not supported in some file formats (e.g. "This
comment type is not supported in MP3, WAV, AUD" or something).

keep in touch. berk.
* mailto:berk at nm.ru * http://berk.nm.ru * ICQ UIN: 49516372 *
* The Go! operating system development: http://attend.to/go *