[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expandedTAGS

John W. F. McClain pdp8 at mediaone.net
Sat Dec 15 11:50:31 PST 2001

"Nathan I. Sharfi" wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, John W. F. McClain wrote:
>

> > "Nathan I. Sharfi" wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > >
> > > IIRC, that's the default behavior. You can change the separator, but it
> > > breaks down if you're trying to generate "Crosby, Stills, and Nash" from
> > > three PERFORMER tags. This is where ARTIST makes for a good dump point for
> > > human-formatted compound data, and is why I'm not advocating that it be
> > > dropped like a sackful of beans anytime soon ;)
> >
> > I wonder if would not be better to have a DISPLAY tag that has no
> > semantic
> > meaning besides "this is what I want the player to display while playing
> > this".
>
> I'm too lazy to do that with my own oggs, but you're free to do so.
> I'm with Jonathan on this one--good idea, not worth standardizing.

Just to be clear, my intent was not that every ogg file would have
a DISPLAY tag.  My gut feeling is that if you have 23+ tags describing
each of your 5000 ogg files, it will be difficult to develop a simple
algorithm that will pick the right tags to create a short (pithy?)
description for ALL of your files (Crosby, Stills, & Nash being a good
example).  Having an escape like the DISPLAY tag would mean that if you
would only need to develop an algorithm that worked for 99% of your
files, you could come up with a pithy description for the remainder by
hand.  Just trying to provide a slightly more general form of your "good
dump point for human-formatted compound data."